Chinese Spinach in Superior Broth
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Chinese Spinach in Superior Broth Recipe
In my opinion, making your own soup stock for this dish makes this dish truly “superior”; however, if you are pressed for time, use instant soup solutions (such as soup cubes). Vegetable & chicken stock can also be used in place of ikan bilis stock.
- 250g Chinese spinach
- 50 grams ikan bilis rinsed
- 500 ml water
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & sliced thinly
- 1/2 century egg diced
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp wolfberries soaked in a small bowl of water for 15 minutes until puffy; drained
- light soy sauce to taste; optional
- Separate the spinach leaves from the stem. Break the stem to 2 cm lengths, pulling and discarding the “strings” as you do so. Rinse and spin dry the vegetables.
- Place ikan bilis in a disposable soup pouch and water in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer for 10-15 mins. Discard the soup pouch, set aside the stock.
- Heat oil, add garlic slices and stir fry until garlic just turn slightly brown. Add spinach stems and stir fry on high heat for about a minute. Add spinach leaves and stir fry until the leaves are just wilted.
- Add ikan bilis stock, century egg, sugar and wolfberries. Bring to a simmer for about a minute. Add Shaoxing wine and allow the wine to evaporate after a few seconds. Turn off the flame. Season the broth with light soy sauce if needed.
Noob Cook Tips:
- You may use any type of Chinese spinach for this recipe, most commonly sharp spinach (苋菜) or round spinach (菠菜).
- Century eggs will make the soup murky in appearance; skip this ingredient if you prefer to have clear soup.