Simmered Kabocha (Japanese Pumpkin)
Simmered Kabocha Recipe
The amount of kabocha is indicative. It can be a bit more or less as long as it occupies one layer in your cooking pot. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for a few days and served warm (re-heated in microwave), at room temperature or chilled.
- 350g piece kabocha (カボチャ, 南瓜, Japanese pumpkin or winter squash)
- 250ml water (or enough to just cover the pieces in a small pot)
- 1 tsp instant dashi powder
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tsp brown sugar to taste
You also need
- a small fitting cooking pot
- Remove the seeds, wash kabocha and scrub the skin. Cut to uniform bite-sized chunks. Optional: Trim the sharp edges of each piece for better presentation.
- Arrange kabocha pieces one layer in a small fitting pot. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and season to taste. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until pumpkin is cooked through and tender.