Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Shabu Shabu Recipe
Feel free to adapt the vegetables listed in (A) with your favourite seasonal ingredients.
- 200 thinly sliced beef (shabu shabu cut)
Soup base (dashi stock)
- hot water
- a piece of konbu (kelp) roughly 5cm by 8 cm
- 150 grams firm tofu cut to square pieces
- a few leaves napa cabbage cut to bite-sized pieces
- a handful Japanese shingiku (chrysanthemum greens; substitute with local ‘tang oh’)
- 100 grams enoki mushrooms ends trimmed
- 6 shiitake mushrooms stalks removed; make a 6-star pattern on each mushroom cap
- 1 packet (200 grams) ito konyaku blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes, submerge cooked noodles in an ice water bath for a few minutes; drained
- 5 grams black fungus soaked in hot water for a few minutes; discard tough portion on the fungus underside, drain and cut to smaller pieces
- 1 Japanese scallion (negi) sliced thinly and diagonally
- 8 thinly sliced carrots cut to flowers
(B) Ponzo Sauce Dipping
- 2 tbsp grated daikon (white radish)
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 3 tbsp ponzo sauce
(C) Sesame Sauce Dipping
- 4 tbsp roasted sesame sauce
- 1/2 tbsp seasoned sushi vinegar
- 1 tsp mirin
- Prepare vegetables in (A) and arrange in a platter. Prepare dipping sauces (B) and (C); divide into two portions.
- To make the soup base for shabu shabu, soak kelp in a soup pot of hot water for 15 minutes or until it is reconstituted. Bring the pot to a simmer and turn off the heat. Discard kelp.
- Enjoy shabu shabu by dipping beef slices briefly (seconds!) in the bubbling soup base and cooking the vegetables.
Noob Cook Tip
After you cooked all the meat and vegetables, add a bowl of cooked rice to the remaining broth, season with a bit of soy sauce and pour a beaten egg over the rice.