Sesame Oil Chicken
Filed Under: 30-Minute Recipes Asian Recipes Chicken Recipes Chinese Recipes Mum's Recipes Popular Recipes Recipes
Sesame Oil Chicken Recipe
This is popular food for women on confinement (one month after childbirth). The confinement recipe usually contains more sesame oil, ginger and hard liquor because it is believed that “heaty” foods are beneficial for women recuperating from childbirth.
- 1/2 chicken (about 500g) cut to small pieces (you can also use drumlettes or chicken thighs)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 5 slices ginger sliced to thin strips
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine to taste
- 50 ml water
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- Heat sesame oil and cooking oil, then add ginger strips. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add chicken pieces and stir fry for a few minutes, until cooked on the surface.
- Add (A) and stir to coat chicken evenly in the sauce. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add more water if the sauce is drying out. Use kitchen tongs to turn chicken pieces over, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked, add Shaoxing wine and after a few seconds you can smell the wonderful aroma of the wine evaporating. Garnish with coriander and serve with warm steamed rice.
Noob Cook Tips
- Instead of Chinese wine, you can also add hard liquor like D.O.M or X.O.
- The simmering time will depend on the size of the chicken pieces – the smaller the pieces, the shorter the cooking time.
- My mum love to add canned button mushrooms though I prefer my sesame oil chicken without them. If you like them, you can add them during the last few minutes of simmering.
Pages: 1 2
Hihi can i use normal cooking oil instead of olive oil?any difference?thanks.
Hi, I’d like to know if I can cook this dish using slow cooker instead? If yes, any idea how to modify?
Pingback: Pan-fried Fish Stuffed with Chilli Paste Recipe (辣椒鱼) (Step-by-Step Photos)
Pingback: Chinese Braised Chicken Recipe
hi! i tried this dish today – however, at the step where i’m supposed to add the pre-mixed sauce (A), there was a major splatter, with droplets ranging from 10-20 cents shooting out from the pan. i would like to know if anyone knows why this happened and how to prevent it? thank you so much!
Hi, can I use hua diao instead of shao xing?
Yes, you can! Read here for more info: https://noobcook.com/shaoxing-wine/
Pingback: Sesame Oil Chicken – Calis Cooks, Bakes & Eats