Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Seafood Porridge Recipe
You can substitute the prawns, scallops and clams in this recipe with other seasonal seafood such as sliced fish, mussels and oyster meat.
You can also add a few Chinese lettuce or coral lettuce (生菜) at the last step, if you like some greens in your bowl.
- 15-20 local clams (such as asari, manilla or “lala”)
- 350 ml chicken stock
- 400 ml water
- 4 large scallops if using frozen, thaw before use
- 4 large prawns de-veined, shelled leaving head and tail intact
- 4 thinly sliced ginger
- 2 tbsp rice wine or sake
- 2 servings cooked white rice
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- white pepper powder to taste
- 2 tsp crispy garlic oil optional
- Clean and de-grit the clams. Scrub the clams with a hard-bristle brush. Put clams in a bowl of water with 1 tsp sea salt. Let the clams soak in the salted water for 1-2 hours, allowing the sand and grit to be purged out. Discard the water and rinse the clams. Set aside.
- Make seafood soup. In a soup pot, bring chicken stock and water to a boil. Add prepared clams, scallops, prawns and ginger. Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until the clams are all opened. Discard any clams that remain closed. Add rice wine during the last 15 seconds of cooking.
- Serve. Add cooked rice to two serving bowls. Ladle the hot seafood soup over the rice. Garnish with coriander, white pepper and garlic oil. Serve immediately.