Scallion Oil Chicken
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Steamed Scallion Chicken Recipe
The scallion oil should be slightly over-salted for it to be delicious. Season the scallion oil with a little salt at a time until the desired saltiness is reached.
- 4 large bone-on & skin-on chicken thighs about 100 grams per thigh
- 4 cloves garlic bruised
- 8-10 thinly sliced ginger
- bottom white portion from 2 scallions (spring onions) cut to sections
- 2 stalks scallions chopped thinly
- sliced cucumber for garnish
Marinade for chicken thighs
divide equally among the chicken thighs:
- 1/4 tsp salt rub over flesh
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shaoxing) drizzle over flesh
- 1 tbsp sesame oil rub over skin
- 3 stalks spring onions finely chopped & placed in a heat-proof bowl
- steaming chicken liquids filtered through a fine sieve
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt to taste
- Prep and steam chicken. Marinade chicken flesh with salt and wine. Rub sesame oil on the skin. Place chicken thighs in a large steaming plate lined with garlic, ginger slices and the bottom white scallion stalks. Bring steamer to a boil, steam chicken at high heat for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and keep lid covered for another 10 minutes to finish cooking the chicken. Filter the concentrated chicken steaming juices through a sieve and set aside.
- Cool & cut the chicken. Let the steamed chicken cool down completely (submerge them in a bowl of ice water if in a hurry). Remove the bone from each thigh, and cut the chicken to smaller pieces. Arrange cut chicken in a serving plate garnished with cucumber.
- Make the scallion sauce. Place chopped spring onions in a heat-proof bowl. Heat up the filtered chicken steaming juices (on the stove or microwave) until hot, then pour the liquid over the chopped spring onions. Season with sea salt, to taste, until it is just slightly over-salted. Stir well and set aside in a small serving saucer.
- Serve the dish. Serve the plate of cut chicken with a saucer of scallion sauce. Just before eating, pour scallion sauce over the chicken.