Prawn Paste Chicken (Har Cheong Gai)
Filed Under: Appetizers & Finger Foods Asian Recipes Chicken Recipes Chicken Wings Recipes Chinese Recipes Popular Recipes Recipes Singapore & Malaysia Recipes
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Prawn Paste Chicken Recipe
For best results, marinade the chicken wings over night in the fridge for the chicken to fully absorb the marinade.
- 500 grams chicken wings cut at the joint (or use drumlettes/mid-joints)
- 1/2 cup corn flour (corn starch)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying) enough to submerge the chicken
- In a bowl, combine the marinade ingredients (A) until a paste is formed. Marinade the chicken with the sauce for at least an hour or overnight in the fridge.
- Just before deep-frying, add corn flour to the marinade chicken. Stir to coat evenly, until the flour is dissolved completely into the marinade and forms a sticky coat on the chicken.
- Heat oil in a wok or pot to about 180°C (356°F). Deep fry in batches for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown, turning once half way. During the last minute of deep-frying, turn the heat up slightly to allow the chicken to crisp well. Drain excess oil on paper towels before serving.