Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil
Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil Recipe
The recipe measurements for the crispy garlic oil is for one serving. You can also make more garlic oil and store them in the fridge – click here for the detailed tips and step-by-step pictures for making a bigger batch of garlic oil.
- 200 grams baby boy choy (xiao bai cai, 小白菜)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
(A) Garlic Oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic finely chopped
(B) Oyster Sauce Mixture
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp hot water
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Garlic oil. Heat olive oil in a small pot on medium. When tiny bubbles gather, add the chopped garlic, stirring frequently with a spatula. Once the garlic starts to turn light golden, transfer them to a small bowl. The garlic will continue to cook for a few more minutes in the bowl of hot oil until it turns a lovely golden brown. Check here for step-by-step pictures.
- Oyster sauce mixture. Prepare the oyster sauce by combining (B) in a small bowl.
- Cooking the greens. Heat a pot of water with 1 tsp vegetable oil added. When the water comes to a boil, add baby boy choy and blanch for 10 seconds. Optional: You can cook the stems first by lowering the vegetables into the boiling water with a pair of tongs for the first 5 seconds.
- Serve. Trim the ends of the blanched greens and then cut them to shorter sections if preferred. Assemble the blanched vegetables on a serving plate and drizzle garlic oil and the oyster sauce mixture over the vegetables.