One-Pot Shrimp Millet Porridge
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
One-Pot Shrimp Millet Porridge Recipe
In this recipe, everything cooks in one pot on the stove. Alternatively, you can also make the millet porridge separately in a rice cooker (see method 2 of millet porridge recipe) first, before transferring the cooked millet to a pot on the stove.
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) millet (小米) washed in a few changes of water until water runs quite clear; drained
- 1 litre water top up with more water whenever needed
- half tbsp mushroom seasoning powder to taste; can substitute with other seasonings such as soy sauce or salt
- 100g hon shimeji ends trimmed, separated to smaller bunches
- 100g corn nibblets thawed if using frozen; rinsed and drained if using tetra-pak corn
- 10 tiger prawns (shrimps) shelled and deveined
- chopped spring onions for garnish
- Cook millet porridge. Add washed millet and water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 20-30 minutes, until the millet grains are tender but still intact. Skim the foam with a mesh strainer in the early stages of cooking if desired. Stir the bottom of the pot regularly. Top up with more water whenever needed during simmering. When the porridge is cooked, season it with mushroom seasoning powder.
- Add shimeiji, corn and shrimps. Add shimeiji and corn nibblets, simmer for 3 minutes. Finally add the shrimps and cook for 2 or more minutes (depending on their size) until they are just cooked. Garnish with spring onions and serve.