Low Carb Tom Yum Chicken Noodles
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Low Carb Tom Yum Chicken Noodles Recipe
Enjoy your favourite tom yum noodles without the guilt by substituting the usual glass noodles with zero-calorie Japanese shirataki ‘miracle’ noodles (konjac noodles).
- 75g boneless chicken thigh (or breast) cut to bite-sized chunks
- 1 packet (net weight 200g) shirataki noodles (aka Japanese yam/konjac noodles)
- 500ml water
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 50g straw mushrooms (either canned or fresh)
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce to taste
- a small squeeze of Thai lime juice to taste
- 10g sugar omit if eating low-carb; to taste
- chopped coriander garnish; optional
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- white pepper powder
(B) Tom Yum Soup Base
- 30g instant tom yum paste see cooking note below
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 lemon grass use only outer white portion; cut to short sections
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 dried chilli deseeded; optional
- Marinade chicken in (A) for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Prepare shirataki noodles by draining the noodles from the pouch of water. Add drained noodles and some water in a pot. Boil for 2-3 minutes. Run the noodles in tap water to cool down and set aside.
- Make the dish. Add soup base ingredients (A), cherry tomatoes, straw mushrooms and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then add the chicken (including leftover marinade sauce). Cover with lid and simmer for 2-3 minutes until chicken is cooked. Season the soup to taste with fish sauce, lime juice and sugar (if using). Add the earlier prepared shirataki noodles to the pot. Garnish with coriander before serving.
- I’m using the Lobo brand of instant tom yum paste. You can use any favourite brand of instant tom yum and season to taste accordingly.
- Even though I am using a premade paste, I still added the aromatics at (A) for better taste and presentation. You can skip them if you wish to.