Homely Millet Porridge Breakfast
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Homely Millet Porridge Breakfast Recipe
You can substitute millet porridge with regular rice porridge and the suggested porridge condiments with your own favourite ones.
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) millet (小米)
- 1 litre water (stove-top) or 750 ml water (rice cooker) top up with more water whenever needed
- slices luncheon meat (spam)
- eggs, as many as you like
(A) Porridge Condiment
The following 3 items are used in this recipe. You can use other favourite porridge condiments such as braised peanuts, meat floss & picked mustard.
- Japanese seasoned enoki (nametake/なめ茸 ) stirred into the porridge
- pickled “cai xin” or mustard greens (菜心罐头)
- fermented tofu cubes (豆腐乳)
- Cook the millet porridge using this recipe either on the stove-top or a rice cooker that has a porridge function.
- Cook sunny-side up egg(s). Grease a non-stick pan with oil and heat it to medium. Crack an egg into a small bowl and carefully pour the egg into the pan. Try to position the yolk in the middle surrounded by the egg white. After about two minutes, loosen the edges a bit, and let the egg cook for a few more minutes until the yolk is about half cooked. Set aside on a plate.
- Pan fry the luncheon meat. In the same pan, pan fry the luncheon meat until lightly seared on both sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Serve. Stir the seasoned enoki into the porridge. Serve with a side plate of fry eggs & luncheon meat, along with side saucers of pickled mustard green & fermented tofu cubes.
To make your sunny side eggs round, you can use an egg ring or a pancake pan.