Fruits Yu Sheng
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Fruits Yu Sheng (Yee Sang) Recipe
Use your favourite fruits or vegetables in this fruity twist to the usual Chinese New Year yu sheng salad.
Cut the fruits to desired slices or shapes (example matchsticks, bite-sized pieces, halves or thin slices).
- 150 grams strawberries (use redder ones) sliced
- 2 kiwi skin removed; sliced
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 3 tbsp pomelo sacs
- 2 mandarin oranges skin membrane from sac removed for better presentation
- 150 grams pineapple flesh sliced
Other suitable fruits suggestions:
- whole seedless grapes
- canned rambutan or longan
- dragon fruit
- star fruit (cut to star shapes)
- any sweet fruit that has a vibrant red, green or golden
- 1 cup each of thinly shredded cucumber, carrot and daikon*
- 1 small head romaine lettuce use the green part only; slice to thin shreds
* Use a zig-zag peeler to shred the trio vegetables and dry in salad spinner. You may also buy them pre-shredded from local supermarkets (usually at the sushi booth) during the CNY season.
(C) Other Ingredients
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- a small dash of Chinese white ground pepper
- 1 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
(D) Raw fish, abalone or clam (optional)
- sashimi-grade fish (such as salmon) slices, or
- sliced real or imitation abalone (or whole baby abalones), or
- Japanese surf clam meat (hokkigai)
- 5 tbsp Chinese plum sauce to taste
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of hot water adjust accordingly to to achieve the desired consistency
- Slice the fruits (A) and shred the vegetables (B). Prep the other ingredients (C) and (D) in serving saucers and mini bowls.
- Make the sauce by mixing (E) in a small bowl. Season to taste and set aside.
- In a large round serving plate, pile up shredded vegetables (B) in a high tower in the center of the plate. Arrange the sliced fruits at (A) around the shredded vegetables.
- Serve the fruits yee sang with (C), (D) and (E) at the side. While adding each ingredient to the plate, say the corresponding auspicious wish (see previous page) for the ingredient. Pour sauce over yu sheng in a circular motion. Toss the salad high and say auspicious wishes for the coming year during the “lo hei” (salad tossing) ceremony.