Easy Chicken Porridge
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Easy Chicken Porridge Recipe
Use quick cooking dried mushrooms (usually the thinner and cheapest variety) for fast cooking. Alternatively, use fresh shiitake mushrooms (skip step 1 if using fresh ones).
This recipe uses cooked rice as a short-cut. Alternatively, you can cook the porridge from scratch on the stove or the rice cooker.
- 4-5 dried shiitake mushrooms (use thin, quick-cooking type)
- hot boiling water enough to cover mushrooms in a small bowl
- 100g minced chicken
- half carrot diced
- 500ml water top up with more water during simmering
- 200g cooked long-grain white rice
- 1/2 tbsp mushroom seasoning powder or substitute with any seasoning such as soy sauce
- pinch of salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions with a bit more for garnish each bowl
- 2 tbsp shallot oil optional; with a bit more for garnish each bowl
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese wine (Hua Diao/Shaoxing)
- 3 dashes of white pepper powder optional
- Prepare shiitake mushrooms by soaking them in a small bowl with hot water until softened, about 30 minutes. Discard the stems. Squeeze out excess water from the caps before dicing. Reserve mushroom soaking water.
- Marinade minced chicken with (A) for 15 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
- Make chicken porridge. Add prepared mushroom, carrot, mushroom soaking water (filtered), plain water and rice to cooking pot. Simmer for 3 minutes, then add the marinated chicken. When the meat is cooked, add more water appropriately and simmer briefly until the porridge is quite watery & the rice grains slightly mushy. Season porridge with mushroom seasoning powder and salt. Garnish with spring onions and shallot oil. Serve hot.