Easy Chicken Porridge
Filed Under: Chinese Recipes Meals for One or Two One-Dish Meals One-Pot Porridge Recipes
Easy Chicken Porridge Recipe
Use quick cooking dried mushrooms (usually the thinner and cheapest variety) for fast cooking. Alternatively, use fresh shiitake mushrooms (skip step 1 if using fresh ones).
This recipe uses cooked rice as a short-cut. Alternatively, you can cook the porridge from scratch on the stove or the rice cooker.
- 4-5 dried shiitake mushrooms (use thin, quick-cooking type)
- hot boiling water enough to cover mushrooms in a small bowl
- 100g minced chicken
- half carrot diced
- 500ml water top up with more water during simmering
- 200g cooked long-grain white rice
- 1/2 tbsp mushroom seasoning powder or substitute with any seasoning such as soy sauce
- pinch of salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions with a bit more for garnish each bowl
- 2 tbsp shallot oil optional; with a bit more for garnish each bowl
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese wine (Hua Diao/Shaoxing)
- 3 dashes of white pepper powder optional
- Prepare shiitake mushrooms by soaking them in a small bowl with hot water until softened, about 30 minutes. Discard the stems. Squeeze out excess water from the caps before dicing. Reserve mushroom soaking water.
- Marinade minced chicken with (A) for 15 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
- Make chicken porridge. Add prepared mushroom, carrot, mushroom soaking water (filtered), plain water and rice to cooking pot. Simmer for 3 minutes, then add the marinated chicken. When the meat is cooked, add more water appropriately and simmer briefly until the porridge is quite watery & the rice grains slightly mushy. Season porridge with mushroom seasoning powder and salt. Garnish with spring onions and shallot oil. Serve hot.
Pages: 1 2
Quick and delicious…great idea of using leftover rice to make the congee.
Comfort food! So flavorsome too! Actually I prefer this kind of “汤泡饭” porridge to those Cantonese congee.
I just tried this one with slight veggie modifications, but still turned out yum with the umami taste! Thank you so much for sharing these recipes, they are super useful on days where I have no inspiration on what to cook :) Really appreciate it.