Filed Under: Curries & Stews Hot & Spicy Meatless Recipes Recipes Under 30 Minutes
Curry Cabbage Recipe
This recipe uses dried shrimps and fish sauce. For vegetarian version, omit the dried shrimps. To replace the fish sauce, use mushroom seasoning powder, light soy sauce and/or salt (to taste) instead.
- 35g vegetable curry powder
- 3 sprigs curry leaf optional
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 litre water
- 500g round cabbage (高丽菜) cored, leaves coarsely cut to smaller, uniform pieces
- 8 french beans (or 4 long beans) ends trimmed; cut to short sections
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 50g “tau pok” (beancurd puffs) cut to smaller pieces
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 20g dried shrimps (蝦米) soaked in hot water to soften; drain & pat dry
- 5 dried chilli soaked to soften, drained & snipped to smaller sections
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 7 shallots peeled
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tbsp fish sauce to taste
- 1 tsp Maggi seasoning sauce substitute with salt, mushroom powder, light soy sauce or more fish sauce; to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper for extra heat; only if needed
- Blend spices. Place spices (A) in a food chopper or food processor. Blend until smooth. Alternatively, pound them using a mortar & pestle.
- Fry spices. Place blended spices, curry powder and curry leaf sprigs in a large wokpan with 1 tbsp oil. Fry briefly until fragrant.
- Add vegetables & simmer. Add water and bring to a boil. Add cabbage and simmer briefly until they start to wilt (and reduce in volume). Then add french or long beans, cherry tomatoes and bean curd puffs. Cover the wok and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the cabbage reached desired softness. Add more water during simmering if needed. Season the curry to taste with (B). Lower heat and add coconut milk, stirring to warm through the curry before serving.
Pages: 1 2
That curry gravy must be very tasty and flavourful!
It was indeed tasty.Whole family enjoyed it.
Am already thinking of not using the blended spices, do you think it will work? 偷懒了 :p
Will check out this brand of curry powder the next time I’m there.
Yes it will work! But if you have some time to thinly slice some shallots (or onions), I think the taste will be better :)
Do u reckon I can keep this for 3 days for meal prep?
In fact, I also kept my entire pot of curry cabbage for 3 days. Make sure to reheat it thoroughly on the stove until hot & bubbling before serving.