Claypot Yee Mee Noodles (Chicken)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Claypot Yee Mee Noodles (Chicken) Recipe
Cooking and serving the dish directly in a claypot ensures the dish is piping hot throughout eating. If you don’t have a claypot, you can also use any single-sized casserole, such as the light aluminium pans sold at daiso used to cook instant noodles. You can also use any regular pot and dish out the noodles in a bowl to serve.
- 125g boneless & skinless chicken thigh or breast cut to bite-sized pieces
- 6 dried mushrooms use the thin & quick cooking type that cooks in minutes
Ingredients for each claypot
- 300 ml water
- half chicken stock cube (preferably MSG-free)
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 serving “yee mee” (yi mein/伊面) (40-80g)
- 40g mixed veggies (peas, carrots & corn) thawed if using frozen
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp mirin
- 2 dashes white pepper powder
- chopped spring onions &/or coriander
- saucer of cut chilli padi in soy sauce
- Marinade the chicken in seasonings (A) for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
- Prepare dried mushrooms. Soak dried mushrooms in a small bowl of hot water until softened. Discard the mushroom stems. When cooled, squeeze out excess water from the caps. Filter the mushroom soaking liquid through a filter and set aside.
- Cook the dish in a personal sized claypot individually. Add half the mushroom soaking liquid, water and stock cube in the claypot. Bring to a boil. Add dried mushrooms, half the marinated chicken and ginger. Cover with lid and cook for 3 minutes. Add noodles and mixed veggies. When the noodles are cooked, crack an egg into the bubbling hot soup. Remove from the heat. Garnish with spring onions and/or coriander. Serve immediately in the claypot with a side saucer of chilli padi. Repeat by using up the rest of the ingredients in a second claypot.
- Dish out to a bowl when serving to young children to prevent them from accidentally touching the hot claypot while eating.
- I used frozen mixed vegetables (carrot, corn, peas) as I ran out of fresh greens. You can substitute with other vegetables such as Chinese spinach (菠菜) & choy sum (菜心).
- Instead of soup cube, you can use any home made soup stock, a mix of tetra-pak chicken stock & water or simply use water & soy sauce.
- You can substitute the dried mushrooms with fresh shiitake mushrooms. Skip step 2 if doing so.