Cheater Shrimp Wonton Soba Noodle Soup
Filed Under: 15-minute Recipes Complex Carbs Cooking During Lockdown Noodles One-Dish Meals Recipes Shrimp (Prawn) Recipes Singapore
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Cheater Shrimp Wonton Soba Noodle Soup Recipe
Make this quick & easy cheater shrimp wonton soba noodles soup in 15 minutes, thanks to using frozen shrimp wonton as a convenient short-cut.
- 6 dried mushrooms use the quick-cooking variety; see cooking note below
- 2 servings (about 100g or more) dried soba noodles
- 8 slices carrot cut to flower shapes if desired
- 2 stalks Chinese spinach (puay leng) separate leaves & stalks; cut to 5-cm sections
- 1.5l water & 1 tsp fine salt
- 8-12 frozen shrimp wontons (150-200g) do not thaw; see cooking not
- 1 tsp oil
- 300ml hot soup per person see cooking note
- chopped spring onion to garnish
- Prepare dried mushrooms by soaking them in a small bowl of hot water until softened. Discard the stems, squeeze out excess water from the caps when cooled and set aside.
- Cook all ingredients except wontons. In a large pot with 1.5l water and 1 tsp salt added, bring to a boil. Add soba, mushroom and carrot. Bring to a bowl for 4 minutes, then dish them out. Run the soba under running cold water to cool down. Using the same pot of water, add Chinese spinach stems and boil for 1 minute. Then add spinach leaves and boil for 30 seconds. Take out the spinach using a slotted ladle, run them under running cold water then wring out the excess water. Set all these ingredients aside.
- Cook wontons in a smaller pot of water with 1 tsp oil added. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium high and add wontons. Cook until they float to the surface of the water, about 4-5 minutes.
- Assemble and serve. Distribute the mushroom, carrot, spinach and wonton in serving bowls. Ladle hot soup over, garnish with spring onions and serve immediately.
- I use quick cooking dried mushrooms (thinnest and cheapest variety) which cooks in about 4 minutes. Some dried mushrooms take a long time to cook and are not suitable for this recipe. Alternatively, you can use fresh shiitake mushrooms.
- This was my box of frozen shrimp wonton, you can use any favourite brand. You can have about 3 to 4 frozen dumplings per person.
- Cooking the wontons with a bit of oil and a medium flame (not rapidly boiling) minimize the risk of the dumpling skin breaking after cooking.
- I used soba sauce from Daiso. You can use your favourite brand and adjust the amount of water needed to taste. Alternatively, you can use any instant soup options (boullion cube, tetra-pak chicken stock diluted with some water, or any home-made clear soup).
- For each person serving, you can have a separate bowl of soba and wonton soup like in this recipe, or in one larger bowl with everything inside.