California Temaki (Handroll)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
California Temaki (Handroll) Recipe
Ensure the nori sheets are fresh and crisp by only opening the packet when it is needed. Do not leave the nori sheets exposed for hours. Store leftover nori tightly sealed in the freezer.
- 1 bowl cooked sushi rice (refer to the recipe here)
- 8 roasted nori (seaweed) sheets measuring 19x10cm each
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and sliced to thin wedges*
- 1 Japanese cucumber sliced to long thin strips (may substitute with lettuce or pea shoots)
- 8 kanimi (Japanese imitation crab sticks) may substitute with local ones
- Japanese mayonnaise optional
- 8 tbsp ebiko (prawn roe) or tobiko (flying fish roe)
*Note: Cut avocado just before using to prevent discolouration due to exposure to air.
- Lay one sheet of cut nori, smooth (shiny) side down, on the work surface. Place sushi rice (about 2 tbsp) in the position diagonally at the left side of the nori. Flatten the rice slightly with your hand or the back of a spoon.
- Squeeze a strip of mayonnaise over the rice and add 1 tsp of roe near the bottom half of the rice.
- Arrange avocado, kanimi and cucumber diagonally on the rice.
- Fold in the bottom left corner of the nori and roll until the nori forms a cone shape that holds all the fillings. Once the cone is formed, top with 2 tsp of roe. Secure the edge of the nori with sushi rice.