Butter Hon Shimeji Mushrooms
Butter Hon Shimeji Mushrooms Recipe
Eat these delicious butter mushroom on its own or with some perfectly fluffy scrambled eggs as a low carb meal. These mushrooms are also the perfect side-dish to any meal as they go well with rice and potato.
Don’t worry if it seems like a lot of butter and olive oil are used during cooking, as the mushrooms will absorb most of the healthy fats at the end of cooking.
- 200 grams hon shimeji (beech) mushrooms ends trimmed; see cooking note below
- 40 grams unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or any favourite healthy oil)
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning see cooking note
- 4 shallots (or 1/4 onion) sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp light soy sauce to taste
- small pinch of garlic salt to taste
- 1 tbsp dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc) optional
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- Cook Aromatics. Melt butter and olive oil in pan. Add shallots and garlic; cook until shallots are translucent.
- Add mushrooms by breaking them up to smaller bundles, along with soy sauce. When the mushrooms are cooked, season to taste with garlic salt. Add white wine, turning off the heat when you smell the aroma of the white wine seconds later.
- You can use brown or white (or a mixture of both as I did) hon shimeji mushrooms for this recipe.
- This recipe uses dried Italian seasoning (which is a blend of aromatics such as basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme). You can use your favourite dry herb blend for this recipe. If using fresh herbs, use a bit more than stated in the recipe as fresh herbs are usually less concentrated than dried ones.