Broccoli, Potato & Sausage Baked Rice
If you’re a regular reader of my blog, you may notice that I love to make and experiment with different flavours of baked rice (so far I have recipes for chicken & mushroom, Hawaiian & sausage baked rice), mostly because it’s fuss-free and I love cheese. So I hope you are not sick of yet another baked rice recipe. I have an upcoming salmon baked rice recipe but I think I will post it much later to prevent baked rice overdose hehe. So anyway, this is another one of my baked rice experiments. With each attempt at baked rice, I’ve gotten lazier. For this version, I cook everything in the rice cooker (using an upper rack to steam the broccoli & potatoes) and then transfer the cooked rice to a baking casserole in the oven. Though it is short cut, the baked rice still tastes good. I call this the “double carbo” baked rice because there are two main carbohydrates component in it – potatoes and rice :P I tried this combination because of the leftovers in my fridge. Although double carbo sounds sinful, it’s actually very nice because the potatoes go well with the rice, plus it is really filling so I ate a smaller portion to be full (so hopefully it works out to be the same amount consumed).
– 1 cup uncooked rice, washed
– Water to cook rice
– 20g to 30g butter
– 5 garlic cloves
– 1 potato, peeled and sliced
– 100g broccoli florets, stem trimmed
– 5 gourmet sausages (around 200g)
– 1 to 2 tbsp corn nibblets
– cream of mushroom (undiluted) or Japanese mayonnaise
– Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
– Salt & Pepper
– Parsley (garnishing)
1. Using a microwave, melt butter to liquid form (should be less than a minute). In the rice cooker pot, add melted butter, washed rice, water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 cup of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker), garlic cloves, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
2. Using the upper rack of my rice cooker, I place broccoli florets and sliced potatoes. Be sure to leave some of the air vent open. If you don’t have an upper rack, you can steam them separately. Cook the rice mixture prepared in step 1 together with the upper rack of vegetables in the rice cooker.