Filed Under: 5 or Less Ingredients Asian Recipes Chinese New Year Recipes Chinese Recipes Fish & Seafood Popular Recipes Recipes Steaming
This is easy cooking at its best with only four ingredients – prawns, ginger, beer and salt. With so few ingredients, the goodness of the prawns really shines through so buy the freshest prawns that your money can buy for this dish!
I highly recommend using light-tasting beer such as Tiger Crystal (what I use for this dish) or Tsiangtao for cooking this dish.
- 8 large prawns (or ‘shrimps’ in the US) about 250 grams
- ginger slices no need to peel; enough to line plate
- beer 150ml estimate; enough to submerge prawns partially
- 1 tsp salt
- Prep the prawns. Using kitchen scissors, trim the head and tail end of the prawns. Make a small incision at the back (tail end) of the prawn and use a tooth pick to locate and pull out the veins at the back. Repeat the same for the underside of the prawns. Soak deveined prawns in a bowl of water with 1 tsp salt. After 5 minutes, drain and rinse the prawns.
- Prepare steaming dish. Line deep steaming plate with sliced ginger. Arrange prawns one layer on top of ginger. Pour enough beer to submerge the prawns partially.
- Steam the prawns. Prepare steamer. When water in steamer is boiling, add the plate of prawns to steam at high heat for about 4 minutes, or until the prawns turned fully orange. Do not over-cook. Serve immediately.
Noob Cook Tips
Soaking the prawns in salted water before steaming improves the flavour and texture of the meat, but you can skip that if you are busy.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, just wondering. It is possible to steam with head and tail?
Yes, it is!
Hi, i can find the tiger beer in cold storage. Any brand to substitute?
For the ginger slice is thinly slice or thick slice?
Is cant find the tiger beer.
thin slices of ginger will be good. You can use light tasting beer (such as Tsiangtao) for this dish.