Bacon Wraps Onigiri Lunch Box
Bacon Wraps Onigiri Lunch Box Recipe
The bacon wraps and onigiri can be made the day before and reheated in the microwave, making it ideal for meal prep.
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 50g pea shoots separate to 5x10g bundle
- 50g enoki mushroom separate to 5x10g bundle
- 10 slices streaky bacon
- 1/2 tsp oil for greasing the pan
- chopped spring onions to garnish
(A) SAUCE FOR WRAPS
- 100 ml water
- 1/8 tsp dashi powder
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp (15g) sugar
- 320g cooked short-grain rice see cooking note below
- 10g onigiri seasoning powder (use any favourite, adjust quantity according to package instructions)
- 6 nori (seaweed) strips cut to size
- Make Bacon Wraps. Wrap each bundle of pea shoots or enoki mushrooms with a slice of streaky bacon, making 10 bacon wraps in total. Place bacon wraps in a fitting greased frying pan. Sear the surface of each bacon wrap until just cooked. Pour sauce (A) onto the pan, simmer covered until the sauce is half reduced and slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Click this recipe for the step-by-step photos.
- Make Seasoned Pea Shoots & Enoki. Cook the remaining pea shoots and enoki mushroom in the leftover simmering sauce for about 1-2 minutes. Use the cooked veggies to line the lunch box before placing the bacon wraps on them.
- Prepare Sauce Bottles. Run the remaining sauce in the pan through a fine sieve into two mini salad dressing bottle.
- Make Onigiri. Place the cooked rice, slightly warm, on a large broad plate. Sprinkle the onigiri seasoning over the rice and mix until the seasoning is evenly distributed. Divide the rice to six portions. Shape the seasoned rice to a triangular shape either by hand or using a onigiri mold. Always moisten your hands and onigiri mold with a small bowl of water at the side to prevent the rice from sticking. Paste a piece of nori strip on each onigiri. Wrap each onigiri tightly in cling wrap.
- Assemble Lunch Box. Divide the food among two lunch boxes (I’m using Ikea’s 365). Pack each lunch box with a bottled sauce. This lunch box keeps well at room temperature for half a day. It can be eaten at room temperature without reheating. To reheat the onigiri, remove the cling wrap and microwave the onigiri on a plate on low heat for less a minute until slightly warmed. Before eating, pour the sauce over the bacon wraps.
How to cook onigiri rice:
Rinse 1 cup short grain rice in a few changes of water until the water runs less cloudy (skip if using pre-washed rice). Rice cooker method: Add rinsed rice and 1 1/2 cup water to a rice cooker and set to cook. OR stovetop method: Add rice and 1/2 cup water to a non-stick saucepan. Bring to boil and lower heat to low and simmer, covered until water is just absorbed, about 10 minutes. Turn off the stove. Continue to let the rice steam with the lid covered for at least 10 mins before using.
Talk about the healthy and delicious lunch box! And it’s so beautifully made and arranged.
I’ll be so jealous if I were your colleague! And maybe I’ll be “thick-skinned” and ask you to make this same lunch for me :P