Asari Miso Soup
Filed Under: 15-minute Recipes Asian Recipes Fish & Seafood Japanese Recipes Recipes Soups
Asari Miso Soup Recipe
In this recipe, Japanese asari clams are used. If you can’t find asari clams, feel free to substitute with any type of local clams (such as lala clams, manila clams) in your area.
- 500 ml dashi stock (I cheat by using 1/2 tsp dashi stock powder)
- 250 grams asari clams (may substitute with other clams)
- 50 grams tofu cubed
- 1/2 tbsp dried cut wakame soaked in water until softened and reconstituted
- 1 tbsp miso paste to taste
- 1 leaf of napa cabbage thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions (scallions)
- Scrub clams with a hard brush, then soak in salted water for at least an hour for the clams to purge out sand and impurities. Drain and rinse clams.
- In a small pot, bring dashi stock to boil. Transfer 1 -2 ladles of hot stock to a small bowl and stir to dissolve miso paste completely.
- Reduce heat and add asari clams. Simmer with lid closed for about 1-2 minutes, until all the shells open.
- Add cubed tofu, dried wakame and napa cabbage. Simmer until cabbage is cooked, about a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Return the miso mixture prepared in step 1 back to the pot, while the soup is still hot. Stir evenly.
- Ladle to serving bowls and garnish with chopped spring onions.
Noob Cook Tips
- Discard any shells that remain closed after cooking.
- Do not overcook the clams, other wise they will taste rubbery/chewy.
- In this recipe, Japanese asari clams are used. I bought mine at Sakuraya (Japanese supermarket in SG) and it comes in a frozen vacuum pack. Simply thaw the packet and then soak the clams in salted water for about an hour before use. The asari clams may be more expensive than our local lala clams (a 250g packet costs S$5.70), but I find them bigger and juicier. It is sold in the frozen form so I can thaw it whenever I feel like cooking, unlike fresh clams where you have to buy and cook on the same day. If you can’t find asari clams, feel free to substitute with any type of local clams (such as lala clams, manila clams) in your area.
Pages: 1 2
oh yes! i’m gonna order (something like) this for lunch (order, not make heheheh i am lazzyyy)
Are the frozen clams fresh? I have seen them here but have not bought them before as I am not sure if I will get fresh clams.
surprisingly very fresh leh, maybe because it is vacuum sealed. I will buy again keke
I missed this one. Beautiful soup and it looks great paired with the red bowl and burlap placemat!