Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Umeboshi Ochazuke (Japanese Tea Rice) Recipe
This recipe use an ochazuke instant premix pack as a shortcut. You can also easily make the ochazuke mix yourself – recipe in the cooking note below.
- 80g cooked Japanese rice (I’m using Japanese multigrain rice)
- 1 single-serve sachet ochazuke premix see cooking note 1 to make your own
- 1 umeboshi (dried pickled plum) pitted & diced
- 1 tbsp ikura optional
- 1 tbsp Japanese scallion (negi) thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Japanese tea leaves (such as hojicha)
You Also Need:
- tea pot with filter sieve (or tea leaves put in a disposable tea bag)
- Prepare the bowl. In a rice bowl, add the cooked rice. Sprinkle the ochazuke mix sachet evenly over the rice. Then top with umeboshi, ikura and scallions.
- Make the tea. Add tea leaves into the filter sieve of the tea pot. Pour boiling water into the tea pot and let it brew for 1 minute.
- To serve, pour 120ml freshly brewed hot tea over the rice. Stir gently to dissolve the granules and serve immediately.