Taiwanese Fried Oysters
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Taiwanese Fried Oysters Recipe
Besides the original flavour (salt and pepper) used in this recipe, you may also experiment with other seasonings such as chilli (cayenne) powder, seaweed powder or garlic powder.
Watch the YouTube video for this recipe here.
- 150 grams oyster meat thaw if using frozen, then pat dry on paper towel
- a small handful fresh basil leaves if rinsed, air or pat dry completely before use
- 40 grams sweet potato flour sifted
- vegetable (example peanut or canola) oil for deep-frying
- sea salt to taste
- white pepper powder to taste
- Coat oysters evenly in the sweet potato flour.
- Heat oil in a small pot to 180°C (356°F). If small bubbles gather when a chopstick is inserted into the oil, it is ready.
- Add basil leaves into the oil and deep fry for about 5 seconds, or until crisp. Remove and drain the fried basil on paper towel.
- Add the battered oyster pieces into the basil-infused oil and deep fry until golden brown. Remove and drain the fried oysters on paper towel. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, combine deep-fried oysters with crispy basil and enjoy while it’s piping hot.
Noob Cook Tip
To thaw frozen oysters, soak them in a bowl of water for about 5 minutes. Rinse and drain the oysters. If not using immediately, keep chilled in the fridge. Best if used within an hour from thawing.