Stir-fry Leeks with Prawns
Filed Under: Chinese New Year Recipes Chinese Recipes Recipes Shrimp (Prawn) Recipes Stir Frying Under 30 Minutes
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Stir-fry Leeks with Prawns Recipe
- 400g Chinese leeks (蒜)
- 10 medium prawns peeled & deveined; about 100g after prep
- 1 tsp + 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 thin slices ginger minced
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine
- 3 tbsp water add more if the stir-fry is too dry
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 dashes white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine (Shaoxing/Hua Diao)
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning powder if not using, substitute with 1 tsp light soy sauce
- small pinch of salt to taste
- 2 dashes white pepper
- Marinade prawns with (A) for half hour in the fridge.
- Prepare the leeks. Trim and discard the bottom roots and any withered leaves. Clean the leeks by washing each stalk carefully, particularly inside the crevices of the top outer leaves which trap soil. Cut the leeks at a slant angle to uniform short sections, separating the top green portion from the bottom white portion.
- Cook the prawns. Heat 1 tsp oil in wok. Pan fry the prawns on one side, turn them over with a spatula to cook on the other side. When the prawns are done, set them aside on a plate.
- Make the stir-fry. Heat remaining oil in the same wok. Add garlic and ginger; fry briskly until fragrant. Add bottom white portion of the leeks. Stir fry until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the rest of the leeks, seasonings (B) & water. Drizzle Chinese wine along the sides of the wok. Stir fry until the leeks are cooked. Return the cooked prawns back to the wok, giving everything a quick stir fry before serving.