Steamed Chicken in Chicken Essence
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chicken Recipes Chinese Recipes Popular Recipes Recipes Steaming Step-by-Step Recipes
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Steamed Chicken in Chicken Essence Recipe
You can use any favourite brand of essence of chicken. For best results, marinade the chicken in the sauce overnight in the fridge.
- 300 grams (around four) chicken drumsticks
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms caps soaked in hot water until softened & squeeze out excess water
- 2 x 68ml bottled “essence of chicken/鸡精” original flavour preferred
- 2 pitted red dates
- 3 garlic cloves don’t peel or mash them
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine (Shaoxing/Hua Diao)
- 1/2 tsp wolfberries
- 1 tsp ginger juice
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce to taste
- 1/4 tsp sea salt to taste
- coriander leaves
- Combine (A) to marinade for at least 1 hour, or preferably overnight in the fridge.
- Transfer contents to a deep steaming plate. Steam at high heat for 40 minutes. Season the chicken essence broth with more salt to taste, only if needed. To serve, baste the chicken with the chicken essence soup and garnish with coriander.