Spinach Stuffed Portobello
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Spinach Stuffed Portobello Recipe
Both whole leaf and chopped frozen spinach can be used for this recipe. You can by all means use fresh spinach too – blanch spinach leaves in a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds, drained and excess water squeezed.
If you love more cheese, you can sprinkle some more shredded cheese atop the spinach stuffing to bake.
- 200 grams (about 12 caps) baby portobello mushrooms stems discarded & caps cleaned with a damp cloth
- 300 grams frozen chopped spinach
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 tsp minced garlic
- 35 grams shredded cheese mozzarella and/or cheddar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- olive oil for brushing mushroom caps; or, use cooking spray
- Thaw frozen spinach in the microwave on medium, for about 3 minutes (varies according to your microwave; stir through halfway for even cooking). The spinach need not be warmed; just thawing it (still cold) will suffice.
- Squeeze out excess water from thawed spinach either by wringing them in your hand, or using two spoons to squeeze out the water. Add drained spinach to a large mixing bowl. Combine with garlic powder, cheese, salt and black pepper.
- Brush olive oil evenly over mushroom caps. Rest mushrooms caps face down on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Divide and spoon the spinach mixture equally among the caps.
- Bake at 200°C (392°F) for 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.