Spinach, Pork & Century Egg Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Spinach, Pork & Century Egg Soup Recipe
For variations, you can use other ingredients such as prawns, mushrooms or salted eggs.
- 200g minced pork (or chicken)
- 1 packet (200-250g) Chinese sharp/round spinach (苋菜)
- 1 litre water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, preferably MSG-free
- 1 century egg cubed
- 1 tbsp wolfberries (枸杞子) soaked in water until puffy & drained just before use
- salt or light soy sauce to taste; only if needed
- a saucer of sliced chilli padi in light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shaoxing)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 5 dashes white pepper powder
- 1/2 tbsp corn flour (starch)
- Marinade minced pork (or chicken) with seasonings (A) for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Prepare Chinese spinach. Pluck the leaves (discard the stems), rinse in a colander, drain and set aside.
- Make the soup. In a large soup pot, boil water with bouillon cube. Reduce to a simmer. Using two spoons, flatten one spoonful of marinated pork before adding to the boiling soup. Do so until all the pork is used up. Add spinach leaves and century egg; boil for 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt or soy sauce, only if needed. Add wolfberries and turn off the stove. Serve with a saucer of chilli padi.