Sauteed Kale and Chickpeas
Sauteed Kale with Chickpeas Recipe
The chilli flakes add a mild smokey and spicy depth to this simple sauteed kale dish. Adjust or omit it according to your preference.
If you want to skip the step of pre-boiling the kale in step 1, add raw kale leaves to the pan after cooking the aromatics, until the leaves are just wilted. You may need to fold them in in 2 or more batches if the pan is not big enough. After which, continue with step 3 and cook for a longer time until kale is tender.
- 75 grams coarsely torn kale leaves*
- 75 grams drained canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes to taste
- 75 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- salt and pepper to taste
*Leaves from approximately 5 large stalks of curly kale, de-stemmed.
- Blanch the kale. Bring a pot of water with 1 tsp salt added to boil. When the water is boiling, add kale leaves to cook until wilted & softened, about 1-2 minutes. Drain the kale on a strainer and press out the excess liquids.
- Cook the chickpeas. Heat olive oil in a wide frying pan. Add shallots, garlic and chilli flakes; saute them in the pan, until the shallots turn soft & translucent. Add chickpeas and cook them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are slightly browned.
- Cook the kale. Add blanched kale leaves and chicken stock. Cover the pan with lid and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the chicken broth is reduced. Season with salt and pepper.