Rice Cooker Chicken Rice
Filed Under: Asian Recipes One-Dish Meals Popular Recipes Recipes rice Rice Cooker Recipes Singapore & Malaysia Recipes
Rice Cooker Chicken Rice Recipe
Use half the amount of water you normally need to cook rice, as the juices from the chicken will drip down to the rice beneath as it cooks in the rice cooker.
- 600 grams chicken thighs (or half chicken) if frozen, thaw before use; chopped to smaller pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp home-made chicken oil optional
- 1/2 cup chicken stock half or 3/4 the amount you normally use to cook rice; adjust accordingly
- 2 pandan leaves optional; tied in a knot
- 5 cloves garlic peeled if you are eating it
- 3 slices ginger
- salt to taste, if needed
- coriander and spring onions
- sliced cucumbers and tomatoes
- In a wok, fry the rice with chicken oil for a few minutes until aromatic. Note: skip this step if you don’t have chicken oil.
- Add rice, chicken stock, pandan, garlic and ginger in the rice cooker. Top with chicken pieces. Cook the rice in the rice cooker. When the rice is cooked, season to taste with salt, if needed. Note: If your rice cooker cook within 30 minutes, let it keep warm for at least another 30-45 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- To serve, scoop a bowl of chicken rice on plate. Place cooked chicken over the rice. Garnish with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, coriander and spring onions. Serve with ginger sauce and chilli sauce at the side.
Pages: 1 2
I have made this twice already. First time as experiment for my own family only, with the chillie recipe given by one of the commentators here plus choysum-fishball soup. It was a hit! Second time yesterday for the family and in-laws, this time with yuen choy-anchovy soup. Very delicious and easy-peasy. Thank you!!
Tired the rice cooker chicken rice. My husband said the rice is so yummy but chicken not tender. can use the hot and cold method for chicken? if use the home made stock will it be that yummy?
If Im using chicken cubes to mix with water, how many cubes should i use for 1 1/3 cup of rice? Yummm…..i look forward to trying this out!
dissolve the chicken cube with hot water; taste it and adjust accordingly.
I tried this out two nights ago and the rice turned out yummy although chicken was a bit dry. I coated it with sesame oil and salt before placing it on the basket for the rice cooker. Next time i will take it out in half hour after rice is cooked :-D Thumbs up!
Hi, when you said “1/2 cup chicken stock half the amount you normally use to cook rice” . lets say if i use 1 cup of water to cook rice normally, with the same amount of rice, i only need to use 1/2 cup of chicken stock to cook chicken rice?
yes, that is right.
Just to confirm. I use half the amount of chicken stock to cook & I don’t have to top up the remaining half with water?
Yup, that’s what I did.
Just a question, do we need to marinate the chicken prior to cooking?
I did not (too lazy) but you can marinate with some sesame oil, ginger juice and light soy sauce if you wish to.
What size rice cooker do you normally make these recipes for?
Hi! Thanks for the yummy recipe! Just wanna add that halving the amount of water when using red rice results in very crunchy rice haha. Next time I will probably just use my usual amount. Plus trim the fat from the chicken; my rice was swimming in chicken fat hehe. But overall super easy and a tasty meal!