Papaya, Snow Fungus and Almonds Soup
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chinese Desserts Chinese Recipes Desserts Recipes
Papaya, Snow Fungus and Almonds Soup Recipe
Bitter almonds in its raw state are said to be toxic if consumed in large amounts. Even though these almonds are cooked, do not add too much of it to be safe (1 tsp is more than enough).
- 2 litres water
- 20 grams (1 piece) snow fungus (aka white jelly fungus, white wood ear, silver ear, 雪儿)
- 500g of ripe and firm papaya
- 5 pandan leaves tied to a knot
- 10 pitted red dates (红枣)
- 1 tsp bitter almonds (aka Northern almonds/北杏) and 1 tsp sweet almonds (aka Southern almonds /南杏)
- 120g rock sugar (冰糖) to taste
- Soak snow fungus in a bowl of hot water until it is puffed up and turn a whiter shade, then carefully drain soaking water. Using a pair of kitchen scissors, trim and discard the dark yellow hard part on the centre underside of the fungus. Cut the rest of the fungus to smaller pieces and set aside.
- Peel (using a vegetable peeler or knife) the papaya skin. Cut the papaya in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to scrap out all the seeds. Cut into small chunks.
- In a soup pot, add water, fungus, pandan leaves, red dates and Chinese almonds. Bring to a boil and then simmer (with lid partially closed) for 20 minutes. Add papaya pieces and simmer until the papaya is soft (about another 20 minutes or more).
- Add rock sugar to taste and stir until the sugar is fully dissolved. Discard pandan leaves. Serve warm or chilled.
Pages: 1 2
You have great pictures! I just made snow fungus soup as well and took a picture but it turned out not appetizing at all. I’m inspired by your picture! Oh, it’s interesting you add pandan leaves. I have never tasted it before and was really curious!
Is it alright if I leave out pandan leaves? I cannot find it at my place :/
pandan adds fragrance to the dessert but you can omit it if you can’t find
ALright, thanks alot for your help and recipe! Gonna try it out soon!
Can I omit the almonds?
yes, you can
Pingback: Ought dried WHITE fungus have black specks and dark areas? – Billionarie Cast