Milky Mushroom Medley
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Milky Mushroom Medley Recipe
This recipe doubles up well to make more servings. For vegan-friendly version, substitute evaporated milk with unsweetened soy milk. For a creamy version, use fresh cream or heavy cream instead.
You can substitute the mushrooms in this recipe with your favourite seasonal mushrooms.
- 100g fresh button mushroom caps cleaned with damp kitchen towel, then sliced thinly
- 100g fresh hon shimeji mushrooms ends trimmed
- 100g fresh shiitake mushrooms stalks trimmed, caps cleaned with damp kitchen towel, then sliced thinly
- 20g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves sliced thinly
- 4 shallots sliced thinly
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 200 ml mushroom stock* (vegetable or chicken)
- 4-6 tbsp full cream evaporated milk
* make instant mushroom stock by combining 200ml water with 1/2 tsp mushroom seasoning powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes optional
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- bread or cooked macaroni
- Prepare mushrooms according to the instructions in the ingredients list.
- Cook the mushrooms. Melt butter and olive oil in a wokpan. Add garlic, shallots and Italian seasoning. Saute until the garlic starts to turn light brown. Then add mushrooms and garlic salt. Stir fry mushrooms until they are wilted down and evenly coated in the butter.
- Simmer & serve. Add mushroom stock, cover the pan and simmer until the mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. After simmering, add more water if needed and season to taste. Lower the heat and stir in the evaporated milk, one tablespoon at a time, until the desired milkiness is reached. Ladle to serving bowl(s) and garnish with chilli flakes if using, parsley and black pepper. Serve with bread or cooked macaroni to soak up the milky broth.