Kale Peperoncino Pasta
Filed Under: Meal Prep Meals for One or Two One-Dish Meals Pasta Recipes Recipes Step-by-Step Recipes Under 30 Minutes
Kale Peperoncino Pasta Recipe
In this recipe, heat and spice is the key! Use your local chilli peppers (chilli padi/bird’s eye, jalapeño, screw pepper etc) OR substitute with dried chilli flakes/dried cut chilli. This recipe takes even less time if you buy ready-to-cook chopped kale, or prepare the kale (chop, wash and spin dry) the night before.
Check out the ingredients and step-by-step photos on the previous page.
- 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tbsp chopped or thinly sliced garlic
- 120g chopped kale washed and spun dry
- 2 local hot chillis (chilli padi, jalapeño etc) partially deseeded & thinly sliced; to taste
- 1 tsp sun-dried tomato salt blend (or any favourite natural salt blend) optional; to taste
- 100g angel hair
- a small pot of water
- 1 tbsp sea salt to cook the pasta
- 1 lug (2 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- fresh or bottled grated parmesan cheese
- Cook garlic. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan. Add garlic and fry until they just turn golden. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Cook kale. Add kale, 1 tbsp water and cover the pan for a minute. Add sun-dried tomato salt blend (or favourite salt blend) and pan fry until the kale is deliciously cooked.
- Cook angel hair. In the next stove, bring water and salt to boil, add angel hair and cook for 1 minute.
- Make pasta. Make a well in the middle the pan of a kale. Add the remaining olive oil and chilli. Fry the cut chilli for a few seconds and add the cooked pasta to the chilli oil. Mix the pasta well with everything in the pan, adding 1-2 tbsp pasta cooking water to bind the flavours. Season to taste with salt only if needed.
- To serve, plate the pasta. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and garnish with grated cheese and black pepper.
Noob Cooking Tips
- I added the cut chilli later as the cooking fumes and the resultant pasta can be choking hot if added at the beginning.
- Pan-frying the kale (compared to blanching the kale in boiling water) retained the full flavour of the kale in the pasta.
- For meal prep, freeze the pasta in freezer-friendly ready-to-serve microwaveable container. To serve microwave the frozen pasta (open a small vent for ventilation) at 850W for 4 minutes.
Pages: 1 2
Kale contains too much oxalate, so not my kind of food…but I am glad that you have enjoyed it! Beautiful shots, as always!
I did not know Peperoncino pasta is spicy aglio olio , hahaha….always thought aglio olio is with garlic, olive oil and chili peppers/flakes.