Fried Rice with Char Siu & Baby Kailan
Colourful and delicious egg fried rice with char siu & baby kailan
This is a slightly more elaborate version of my basic 10-minute fried rice recipe. It’s a wonderful way for me to use up the leftover char siu (Chinese-flavored barbecued pork; 叉烧) and baby kailan (小芥兰) in my fridge. The end result is really pretty, as both the char siu and baby kailan added some really vibrant colours & taste to the humble egg fried rice. This is such an easy recipe, it can be whipped up in less than 15 minutes. This is an egg-cellent fuss-free and delicious one-dish dinner for me.
Ingredients (top to bottom): Baby kailan, char siu and garlic
– 2 servings cooked rice (about 200g), refrigerated overnight
– 1 egg, beaten, seasoned with 1 tsp light soy sauce
– 100g char siu (Chinese-flavored barbecued pork; 叉烧), diced
– 4 baby kailan leaves, chopped
– 2 tbsp cooking oil
– 5 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
– 3 shallots, chopped finely
– salt, to taste
1. Heat oil and stir fry garlic & shallots until the latter is translucent.
2. Add cooked rice, using the back of the spatula or turner to flatten the rice balls so that they are separated.
3. Pour egg mixture over the rice evenly and use high heat to stir fry the rice until the fried rice is dry.
4. Add char siu and baby kailan and stir fry until the kailan is cooked. Season with salt to taste (if needed).
Love the combination of char siu and baby kailan! Will be on my list to try once I can get my hands on some char siu!
I think char siu always works with fried rice! hope you like it :)
Very good fried rice! I love adding kailan in the fried rice too, it’s ver Thai :)
I didn’t realise it was Thai hehe
As always, U never fail to whet my appetite! I have a charsiew stall just 30 secs form where I live. Definitely gonna try it.
I’m jealous of your proximity (30 seconds!) to the char siu stall!
Looks fantastic… taste as well;)
The char siu fried rice looks very very delicious!
Mmm … Nothing beats a good bowl of fried rice! I’ve never tried adding kailan to my fried rice! Thanks for sharing the idea! Lovely photography & styling!
I experimented with kailan due to leftovers and it turned out really nice, hope you try it one day too. Thanks!
Looks yummmy!! All my favourite things in a dish!
My stomach just growled on cue! Gorgeous photo and sounds extremely comforting.
love it! Such simple ingredients but so handy to have! fried rice is never the same again!
looks so good it’s making me hungry now! using char siew, who can resist!!
I think char siew makes everything yummy :D