Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chinese Recipes Meatless Recipes Pickle Recipes Popular Recipes Recipes Salads & Vegetables
Chinese-style Pickled Vegetables
This Chinese-style pickles is the perfect appetizer dish to complement any Chinese meal. You can eat it an hour after soaking but for best results, allow to soak overnight before consumption. Keeps refrigerated for about a week (though it will probably not last that long).
- 1 cucumber de-seeded, cut to uniform, chunky fries strips
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 carrot peeled and cut to uniform, chunky fries strips
- 8 shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- 50 grams pineapple flesh diced
- 2 chilli padi sliced thinly; to taste
(A) Vinegar Solution
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- a pinch of salt to taste
You also need:
- one x 750ml glass bottle
- Rub cut cucumber with 1 tsp salt, allow to ‘sweat’ for at least 30 minutes. This will make the cucumbers more crunchy. Rinse, drain and squeeze dry.
- In a saucepan, bring (A) to a simmer, until the sugar dissolves. Adjust to taste accordingly to your preference.
- When the vinegar solution has cooled, add to it the prepared cucumber, carrot, shallots, pineapple and chilli. Store in a covered glass bottle and refrigerate.
Noob Cook Tips
- You can also add daikon/radish (white carrot) to the mix of vegetables. The method of preparation will be similar to cucumbers, where you need to rub salt for at least 30 minutes before use.
- The vinegar mixture can be re-used for a second batch of picked vegetables, if desired.
- For best results, use authentic rice vinegar rather than the artificial/imitation vinegar.
- You can cut the vegetables to uniform small wedges (acar-style) instead of long strips, according to your liking.
Pages: 1 2
Awesome share! Was wondering how much are those jars you bought? Are they or good quality?
Hi Emma, I bought them in Singapore. They are inexpensive, the smaller bottles are about S$2+ each, the bigger ones are S$3+ each if I am not mistaken. Yes, good quality and made in Italy.
Excellent…! Making these for the weekend crunch… =)
It is absolutely delicious.
My Central American friends finished the whole 1L jar.
They asked for the recipe also.
It will also go well with Saigon Sandwich.
can i use brown sugar?
yes you can.
how long can I keep it for?