Chinese Clam Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Taiwanese Clams Soup Recipe
You can replace the chicken stock with water and season the clams soup with salt, to taste.
Buy fresh clams and use them as soon as possible for best results.
- 300g fresh local clams (such as “lala”, manilla or asari clams)
- 1 level tsp fine sea salt for cleaning the clams
- light chicken stock combine 200ml chicken stock with 300ml water
- 10g ginger sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp rice wine (or substitute with sake)
- 3 thin slices ginger julienned; to garnish
- chopped spring onion to garnish
- Clean and de-grit the clams. Scrub the clams with a hard-bristle brush. Put clams in a bowl of water with 1 tsp sea salt. Let the clams soak in the salted water for 1-2 hours, allowing the sand and grit to be purged out. Discard the water and rinse the clams. Set aside.
- Make the clam soup. In a soup pot, bring chicken stock to boil. Add cleaned clams and ginger slices. Simmer for 2-4 minutes, until the clams are opened. Add rice wine and simmer for another 15 seconds. Discard any clams still closed after cooking. Ladle clams and soup to serving bowls. Garnish with julienned ginger and chopped spring onions.