Chicken Macaroni Soup
You can purchase whole chicken bones (photo above) from the supermarket or wet market. They are cheap, usually about S$1 or less for a whole chicken bone. If you roast a chicken, freeze the bones for making chicken stock, as roasting adds an additional richness and depth to the chicken stock. When cooking chicken wings, freeze wings tips for making chicken stock.
Chicken Macaroni Soup Recipe
I simmered the soup for 2 hours on the stove top and leave it in the thermal pot for a few more hours, but you can also use a slow-cooker or pressure-cooker to ease the process.
- 1 kg whole chicken bones (about 4-5 whole pieces)
- 500 grams chicken drumsticks (about 4) skin removed
- 2 stalks celery (leaves included) sliced thinly
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves bruised
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 2.5 litres water
- 4 servings macaroni
- 2-4 stalks cai xin or xiao bai cai (baby bok choy) blanched in boiling water for about 30 seconds
- Blanch chicken bone and drumsticks in a pot of boiling water. Rinse and drain; set aside.
- In a soup pot, add blanched chicken, celery, carrot, garlic, bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, season to taste with salt. For best results, keep warm in thermal pot for a few hours.
- Sieve the chicken stock to get particle-free soup. You may want to reserve the carrots and celery. Shred chicken from chicken drumsticks. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni in salted, boiling water. Drain. Divide cooked macaroni, shredded chicken and blanched vegetables into 4 serving bowls. Ladle hot chicken stock over and serve immediately.
Noob Cook Tip
To keep chicken stock – keep chicken stock in a container in the fridge for about a week. You can also freeze the stock where it keeps for 2 months. Do not refreeze the broth once it has thawed, therefore fit them in volumes which you use for your recipes and soups (such as 600ml container). You will notice that upon chilling, the fats float to the top and harden. This is your best chance to scrap off the fats with a spoon.