Chicken & Daikon Soup (Rice Cooker Recipe)
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chicken Recipes Chinese Recipes Chinese Soups Recipes Rice Cooker Recipes Soups
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Chicken & Daikon Soup Recipe
The result is soup that has been deeply simmered with a rich taste – just like it has been slow cooked but in a much shorter time (thanks to the rice cooker).
- 500g chicken skin removed & chopped to smaller pieces(I use 3 large chicken drumsticks, you can also use half chicken or chicken thighs)
- 1 litre of water
- 5 slices of ginger
- 1 daikon (white radish/白萝卜) about 300g, peeled and cut to large chunks
- 8 shiitake mushrooms stems removed
- 1 tbsp wolfberries soaked in water until puffy; drained
- 3 dried scallops
- salt to taste
- A basic “keep warm/cook” electronic rice cooker
- Add water to the rice cooker pot, set to “Cook’. When the water boils, add chicken in the rice cooker for 5-8 minutes with the rice cooker covered and discard the first change of cooking liquid. Set aside blanched chicken pieces.
- Add 1 litre of water to the rice cooker pot, cover and set to ‘Cook’.
- When the water boils, add chicken, daikon, mushrooms, dried scallops and ginger. Cover the rice cooker and return to a boil. I leave the soup in the ‘Cook’ mode for about 45 minutes.
- Switch the rice cooker to ‘Warm’ and allow to simmer for at least another 1-2 hours. 15 to 30 minutes before serving the soup, add the soaked wolfberries. Add salt to taste.
Adapted from The Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook by Tay Hui Leng