Cereal Prawns (Cheater’s Method)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Cereal Prawns Recipe
Deepfrying the prawns (including the shells) and curry leaves before the actual wokking ensures that they are crispy after cooked, which is an important criteria of a good cereal prawn dish.
- 40g of instant cereal prawn mix (I use half a packet)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 8 large prawns (about 250g)
- yolks of 2 raw salted eggs chopped roughly
- 2 chilli padi (bird’s eye chilli) sliced thinly
- 30g butter
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Using a pair of kitchen scissors, make a slit across the top of the prawn and pull out the veins, leaving the entire shell for the prawn still intact.
- In a wok, heat oil (just enough to cover the prawns). When the oil is hot enough (you will see tiny bubbles gathering gently when a wooden chopstick is lowered into the oil), add the prawns and curry leaves. Deep fry until the prawns are just cooked. Drain and set aside the prawns and curry leaves (discard the curry stalks). Leave behind a bit of oil in the wok.
- Melt butter in the wok, then add chopped salted egg yolks, cereal prawn mix, sliced chilli padi and previously deep fried curry leaves. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the prawns and stir fry briefly, until they are evenly coated in the cereal paste.