Braised Tofu, Mince & Mushrooms
Braised Tofu, Mince & Mushrooms Recipe
You can substitute the hon shimeji mushrooms in this recipe with your favourite mushrooms, such as shiitake or button mushrooms.
Leftovers can be kept in fridge for up to 2 days and reheated on the stove.
- 150g minced pork (chicken/turkey)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 level tbsp dried fermented black beans rinsed, patted dry
- 3/4 tbsp soybean paste or “taucheo” (豆醬)
- 150g firm tofu cubed
- 150g hon shimeji mushrooms ends trimmed, separated into smaller bundles
- 3 chilli padi sliced thinly; to taste
- cornstarch slurry mix 1/2 tbsp cornstarch with 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions to garnish
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 1 1/4 cup (250ml) water add more later if needed
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar to taste
- 3 dashes white pepper powder to taste
- Marinade mince meat with seasonings (A) for at least 15 minutes.
- Stir-fry aromatics. Heat oil in wok and add the garlic and fermented black beans. Stir-fry briefly until fragrant, then add soybean paste and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- Stir-fry meat and mushrooms. Add the marinated meat and mushrooms to the wok. Cook until meat is no longer pink, breaking the meat up to smaller bits using the spatula or turner.
- Simmer tofu. Add seasonings (B) and sliced chilli. Bring to a boil. Gently add tofu cubes and simmer covered, for 3 minutes, taking care not to break the tofu. Adjust the consistency of the sauce (add more water if needed) and season to taste. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch solution (you may not need to use all of it). To serve, garnish with chopped spring onions.