Braised Red Cabbage with Bacon
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Braised Red Cabbage with Bacon Recipe
This dish keeps well in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 days. Reheat on the microwave to warm it up before serving.
- 1/4 head (about 350 grams) red cabbage
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g streaky bacon diced
- 1 small red or yellow onion diced
- 300 ml rich chicken stock
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar to taste; add 1 more tbsp if a more sour taste is preferred
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- sea salt to taste; only if needed
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Prep cabbage. Cut and discard the cabbage core. Slice cabbage leaves to uniform thin long strips.
- Cook bacon. Spread out diced bacon in a wide frying pan. Drizzle olive oil over them. Fry the bacon in medium high heat until the bacon is starting to crisp and most of its fats rendered out.
- Cook onions. Add onions and fry them on medium low heat in the bacon oil until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Simmer cabbage. Add cut cabbage and stir-fry briefly until slightly softened. Add chicken stock, red wine vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, cover with lid and simmer for about 20 minutes. Top up with more chicken stock or water if the liquid dries out during simmering. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.