Udon Noodle Soup with Pork
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Udon Noodle Soup with Pork Recipe
This recipe is great for clearing any leftover vegetables and ingredients, so feel free to substitute the ingredients to your liking.
- 10 slices (100 grams) thinly sliced pork belly or collar shabu-shabu or sukiyaki cut
- 2 servings (150-200 grams each) fresh udon noodles
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms optional: make a cross cut on the cap
- 8 slices Japanese “naruto” fish cakes
- 1 tbsp sliced negi or Japanese scallion
- 2 leaves napa cabbage cut to 1.5 cm (3/5 inch) strips; separate the the white portion from the leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tsp nanami togarashi aka Japanese 7 flavour chilli powder
- 1 tsp light soy sauce (shoyu)
- 1 tsp mirin
(B) Soup Base
- 700 ml water
- 1 tsp dashi powder
- 1/2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp light soy sauce to taste
- Slice pork to 2.5 cm (1 inch) sections. Marinade in (A) for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to boil. Cook udon until the noodles separates. Transfer cooked udon to a strainer and rinse in cold water. Drain and divide cooked udon into two serving bowls.
- Rinse the pot. Add soup base (B) and bring to simmer. Cook pork slices briefly (less than 10 seconds) and set aside. Add mushroom, fish cake, negi and napa cabbage. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Top serving bowls with the cooked ingredients and ladle soup broth over. Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve with nanami togarashi at the side.