Tom Yum Goong
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Tom Yum Goong Recipe
The coconut milk adds extra richness to the soup but it is optional. Different brands of tom yum paste vary in saltiness, heat and flavour, so season to taste accordingly.
- 500ml water
- 10 large prawns veins removed; leave the head and tail on
- 70 grams canned straw mushrooms
- 1 tbsp fish sauce to taste
- juice of 1 Thai lime to taste
- 200ml coconut milk optional
- 30 grams instant tom yum paste
- 4 shallots peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 lemongrass pounded; outer leaf removed, white part sliced thinly & diagonally
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 slices galangal
- 1 chilli padi sliced thinly & diagonally; to taste
- 2 dried red chilli to taste
- Boil water in a soup pot. Add (A) and bring to a simmer.
- Add prawns and mushrooms. Once the prawns are cooked (just a few minutes), season the soup to taste with fish sauce and lime juice.
- Lower the heat, stir in coconut milk and warm the soup through.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with coriander.
Noob Cook Tip
For convenience, you can buy pre-packed tom yum spices (consisting of lemongrass, shallot, galangal, lime, chilli padi and kaffir lime leaf) sold at most supermarkets.