Stir-fry Chicken, Shiitake & Scallion
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Stir-fry Chicken, Shiitake & Scallion Recipe
You can use any cut of chicken such as chicken thigh (my favourite), breast or fillet. You can also use other mushrooms such as button or king oyster.
- 150g boneless & skinless chicken thigh or breast cut to bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 tbsp + 1 tsp cooking oil divided
- 50g sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 thinly sliced ginger julienned
- 1 finger-length red chilli (see note) sliced diagonally & thinly
- 60g diagonally sliced “negi” (Japanese scallion/ long green onion/ねぎ) use only bottom white portion, sliced to uniform short sections diagonally
- 2 tbsp chicken stock (or water & seasonings, to taste)
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shaoxing)
- chopped spring onions and/or coriander to garnish
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 dashes white pepper powder
- Marinade sliced chicken with (A) in the fridge for at least half hour or up to overnight.
- Fry chicken. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a wok. Add marinated chicken and stir fry until half opaque.
- Add sliced shiitake mushrooms and stir fry until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add aromatics. Add remaining oil and stir fry the garlic, ginger, chilli, until aromatic.
- Finish up cooking. Add scallions and chicken stock. Drizzle Chinese wine along the walls of the wok. Stir fry until everything is cooked and well combined.
- To serve, garnish with spring onions &/or coriander.
- This is a dry stir fry so there is not much sauce after cooking. If you want a stir-fry with some gravy, do add a bit more water with simple seasonings (such as salt or soy sauces to taste) and simmer for about a minute or two.
- I used frozen sliced shiitake mushroom (added to the wok without thawing) instead of fresh ones. There is not much difference in taste or texture between using frozen or fresh mushrooms, so this is a great convenience.