Stir-fried Napa Cabbage
This is a simple stir-fried napa cabbage recipe without excessive seasonings, so that one can taste the natural sweetness of the cabbage. The seasonings are what one can easily find in a typical Asian kitchen. At my mother’s kitchen, where she mainly cooks Chinese food, she had with just about 10 ingredients in her pantry (namely soy sauces, oyster sauce, Chinese wine, salt, oil, ginger, garlic, sugar and 5 spice powder). It’s really a feat to me, as I have countless bottles of sauces, condiments and seasonings :P
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
- Stir-fry Cabbage Outer Leaves Recipe
- Stir-fry Beef & Cabbage Platter Recipe
- More Napa Cabbage Recipes
With these humble ingredients, she created magic in the kitchen and cooked a vast repertoire of dishes. So this recipe will be a reminder to me to keep a recipe as simple as possible, both in terms of method and ingredients, so as not to unnecessarily complicate the cooking process or flavours.
Stir-fried Napa Cabbage Recipe
This is a simple cabbage stir-fry recipe without excessive seasonings, so that one can taste the natural sweetness of the cabbage.
- 300g napa cabbage
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 slices ginger sliced to thin shreads
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 150g enoki mushrooms ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce (if not using this, use additional 1/2 light soy sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp Chinese wine
- Slice and separate cabbages leaves from the white stem portion. Tear leaves to smaller pieces. Slice the stem portion to 3 cm length at a slant angle.
- Heat oil in wok, stir fry garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add the non-leafy cabbage (white portion) for a minute or two until they start to soften.
- Add cabbage leaves, enoki mushrooms and Seasonings (A). Cover and let everything simmer for a few minutes until the cabbage is tender.