Steamed Scallops in Shells
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Fish & Seafood Recipes Steaming
Steamed Scallops in Shells Recipe
This is a Chinese-style steamed scallops recipe with vermicelli, ginger and spring onions.
- 6 half-shelled scallops if using frozen, thaw before use
- 15 grams mung bean vermicelli (cellophane noodles/glass noodles/”tang hoon”) soaked in water until softened & drained
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 slices ginger sliced to thin strips
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
- a few dashes white pepper powder to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1/2 stalk spring onion sliced diagonally to 2cm length
- 1/2 red chilli sliced to thin strips
- Remove scallop meat from the shell, rinse the meat thoroughly and remove any dirty bits. Scald the scallop shells in hot water for a few minutes, discard hot water and rinse the shells. Return scallop meat to the shell.
- Twirl a small amount of softened vermicelli around a pair of chopsticks and place them in the center of a scallop shell. Add scallop meat on top of vermicelli.
- Heat oil in wok or pan and saute ginger until aromatic. Add garlic and chopped spring onions. At the first sight of the garlic changing to light golden brown, turn off the flame. The garlic will continue cooking in the hot oil. Add soy sauce, Chinese wine and white pepper to the oil mixture. Stir to combine well.
- Divide and spoon the topping mixture over the scallops. Steam at high heat for about 4 minutes, or until the scallops are opaque. Garnish with sliced chilli and scallions if desired.
Noob Cook Tip
- Use a small amount of vermicelli (just enough to sit on the shell), otherwise the scallops broth collected in the shells after steaming will be diluted.
- The vermicelli is a nice touch because it soaks up the flavourful scallops broth after steaming, however, you can cook this dish without vermicelli too.
Pages: 1 2
Very good recipe. Prepared it for supper, it was very good. Thanks.
Pingback: Steamed Scallops with Vermicelli Recipe
Pingback: Steamed Scallops in Shells | Marina's Kitchen
Pingback: What You Should Do With Scallops - FamilyNano