Shark’s Fin Melon Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Shark's Fin Melon Soup Recipe
The key ingredients are pork ribs, melon, wolfberries and red dates. The rest of the ingredients are optional, feel free to adapt or omit according to what you have in your pantry.
- 1200ml water
- a small piece of shark’s fin melon (about 500-700g before skin & seeds removed)
- 200g pork ribs (or half chicken, skin removed and cut to small pieces)
- 2 honey red dates
- 6 red dates
- 1 tbsp wolfberries soaked in a bowl of water until puffy, drained
- 1 tsp bitter almonds (optional)
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 sweet corn, cut to chunks
- Cut and discard the skin from the shark’s fin melon, scoop out the seeds using a spoon and cut the melon to big chunks.
- Blanch the pork ribs in a pot of water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Place the blanched pork ribs, cut melon chunks and the rest of the ingredients (except wolfberries) into a pot with the water. Bring to a boil, continue boiling over high heat for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a lower flame and simmer for at least another 40 minutes. Add wolfberries at the last 15 minutes of cooking. You can also slow cook, or use a thermal pot continue slow cooking to bring out the sweetness of the soup.
Noob Cook Tip
Honey red dates sweeten the soup. I added both red dates and honey red dates because I have both. You can use only one type.
Who’s Also Cooking it
For an alternative way of cooking this soup, check out wokkingmum’s version, whereby she added cornflour solution to make it more starchy and this way of cooking bears even more resemblance to shark’s fin soup. Very interesting and creative!