Sambal Okra with Dried Shrimps
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Okra Sambal with Dried Shrimps Recipe
To minimize the slime/stickiness, cut cooked okra to longer sections. But if you don’t mind the stickiness, you can slice them thinly.
- 200g okra (ladies finger) tops & ends trimmed & discarded; sliced to short sections
- 10g dried shrimp (虾米)
- 50ml hot water
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 shallots (or 1/4 small red onion) sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp cooking oil divided
- 1 finger-length red chilli sliced to thin sections
- 1 chilli padi sliced to thin sections for extra heat; to taste
- 1 heaped tbsp sambal belacan paste instant or home-made; to taste
- tiny pinch of salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp water add more as needed
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shaoxing)
- Prepare dried shrimps. Soak dried shrimps in a small dish with hot water until softened, about 20 minutes. Reserve and set aside the dried shrimps soaking water.
- Prepared grinded spices. Add softened dried shrimps, garlic and shallots to an electric food grinder or blender. Add 1 tbsp oil and pulse for a few seconds. Alternatively, pound the ingredients in a mortar & pestle or finely chop them.
- Cook the dish. Heat remaining oil in a wokpan. Stir-fry grinded spices briefly until fragrant. Add cut okra and dried shrimp soaking liquid. Stir fry for 30 seconds, then add sambal belacan paste, chillis, salt and water. Stir fry until orka is cooked, about 2 minutes. Drizzle Chinese wine along the sides of the wok walls during the last 10 seconds of cooking. Stir to coat well before serving.