Okra (Lady Finger) with Sambal Belacan Dip
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Okra with Sambal Belacan Dip
If you have leftover sambal belacan, you can keep them in the fridge, covered, for about a week. They can be used as a condiment, or in stir-fries. Read the sambal belacan recipe for more tips and information.
- 200 grams okra (lady finger; lady’s finger)
(A) Sambal Belacan Dip
- 5 finger-length red chilli de-seeded
- 4 to 5 chilli padi no need to deseed – for the heat; to taste
- 10 grams piece of belacan (shrimp paste) block toasted in a dry heated pan until crumbly
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- juice of 2 small limes (calamansi)
- one lime cut in half
- A mini blender/food processor OR mortar & pestle
- Arrange washed okra one layer on steaming plate. Steam the okra for 3 minutes. Alternatively, cook them in boiling water for 2 minutes. Set aside the cooked okra.
- To make the sambal belacan dip, grind chillis and belacan in the blender, or pound them using a mortar & pestle. Add sugar and salt to taste. Stir to mix well. Transfer the sambal belacan to a saucer and garnish with cut lime.
- Serve the steamed orka with the saucer of sambal belacan dip at the side.