Nian Gao with Egg
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Pan-fried Nian Gao with Egg Recipe
“Nian Gao” is eaten during Chinese New Year as it signifies success and togetherness. Serve this snack with Chinese tea to aid digestion as nian gao is sticky and filling.
- 300 grams “nian gao” (年糕/tikoy)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 5 tbsp plain flour sifted
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour or baking soda sifted
- 1 tbsp ice water
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Slice the nian gao to uniform, thin square pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, flour, cornflour (or baking soda), water and salt until the batter is of a semi-thick and smooth consistency.
- Heat a pan with oil. Dip nian gao slices in egg batter and pan-fry in batches (add more oil if needed), until lightly browned on both sides. Serve with Chinese tea.
Noob Cook Tip
For ease of cutting the nian gao, refrigerate it overnight. The hardened nian gao will be much easier to cut than when it is soft and sticky.